Friday 11 March 2011

Mummy's Pancake

There are many different recipes for pancakes and, obviously, my favourite is my mum's one!
As I've said before on the "Food and I" post, my mum is a chef and one of the best I've ever known, and her recipes always work for me! Even though sometimes I adapt them to my taste.
The pancake recipe can be used for sweet and savoury fillings. Here is the ingredients list:
250g of plain flour
100g of corn flour
2 cups of milk
2 eggs
1/2 tsp of salt
A pinch of baking powder
Butter - to grease the frying pan
Beat all the ingredients in a blender and leave it to rest for, at least, 30 minutes, meanwhile it is a good idea to prepare the fillings and sauces you want to have with your pancake.
Here I've done chicken, spinach and mozzarella filling with bechamel sauce for main course as well as nutella and double cream for desert. But I would also recommend a ham, cheese, tomato (all finely chopped) with oregano filling and tomato sauce. Delicious!!!
I am posting the video of how I cook the pancakes, but if you're not as confident with flipping them in the air, just do it with the help of a fork.
 
I am not "listing" the fillings ingredients, as I believe you will do as you like, but I will describe what I've done anyway...

For the filling: Fry 2 chicken breast chopped in 1 tbsp of butter and 1 of olive oil. Mixture 1 tsp of garlic paste and fry until the chicken pieces are golden brown. Add one medium onion finely chopped and fry all until onion goes soft. Turn the heat off and add about 100g of spinach and 1 ball of mozzarella, both chopped.
For my bechamel sauce: Fry 1 finely chopped onion in 2/3 tbsp of butter and 1/2 of olive oil. Add a clove, a pinch of nutmeg and a full tbsp of garlic paste and fry until golden. Add 3 cups of milk and in another cup of milk dissolve 1 and 1/2 tbsp of corn flour. Season to taste. Remove the clove, blend the sauce and sieve it, if you prefer your bechamel nice and soft (I don't mind the texture of the onion, but if you're doing for other people I would recommend you to do so).
Fill the pancakes with your mixture.
Fold the sides.
And place them in a baking tray.
Cover with cheddar cheese.
Put the bechamel over the pancakes and sprinkle Parmesan cheese and some black pepper.
Bake in a preheated oven on 180 degrees Celsius for about 20 minutes.
Serve hot. The picture below does not look so appetising but I can guarantee it was delicious!
For the desert one I spread 2 tsp of nutella on the pancake, folded and served with a tbsp of double cream (could have been ice cream if I have had any on my freezer)! Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment