Sunday 16 January 2011

My "not really" chicken satay

Well, I am calling it "not really" because it did not taste like the round-the-corner Chinese satay sauce (which is great, even coming from a take away - and yes, sometimes I go for a take away). But having said that, the taste was still beautiful!!! - Modest, me??? ;-)))
And as always, it will be up to you to try it, improve it and comment...
For my satay sauce I used:
2 tbsp of smooth peanut butter - I would rather have used the crunchy one
1 tbsp of soy sauce
1 tbsp of honey
1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
1 tsp of garlic paste
1 tsp of sesame oil
1/2 tsp of mixed spices
1/2 tsp of turmeric
1/3 tsp of grated ginger
1/2 a red chilli - to your taste, I like it mild
Juice of 1 lemon
1 small onion - I forgot this ingredient on my one, but I bet it will taste just as great if not better.
Put all the ingredients together in a mixer and it'll be ready!

For my chicken:
2 chicken breasts - cleaned and sliced in strips
1/2 tsp of garlic paste
1/2 tsp of salt
1 spoon of olive oil
Black pepper to taste
Grill the strips for about 2 minutes each side, put the heat down, grill each side for another 3 minutes, heat up again to finish it and give it some colour.
Put the chicken in a bowl and mix with the sauce - you can serve it separately if you prefer - and it is ready to serve. With white rice and some salad was just delicious!
My white rice recipe:
2 1/2 tbsp of vegetable oil
2 ramekins of basmati rice
1 tsp very full of garlic paste
Salt to taste
About 750 ml to a litre of water
Fry the garlic paste in the oil, when well fried (refer to picture below) add the rice.
When the rice gets opaque, add the water about 5 cm above the rice line, season to taste (try the water to check if it has enough salt for you), put the lid on the pan, heat down and leave it for about 20 minutes. Again, do not mix the rice at all until it is ready. Everyone in UK that have tried my rice loves it, so, give it a go!

* Jon (my ex English teacher) has challenged me to cook the Brazilian Moqueca with English fish. So, NEXT PLANNED RECIPE: English Fish Brazilian Moqueca

Inspirational tune for this recipe: Ida Maria - Queen of the World

PS.: If you have any recipe you would like to see "my version"of it, challenge me!!! Thank you Jon for that!

1 comment: